Tuesday, September 1, 2009

JAG dads

I went to the Hyatt hotel one night because there was a going away party there for one of the security people from the embassy. Dushanbe FINALLY has a Hyatt but don't let that fool you into thinking this is like Europe or something. We don't exactly know why there's a Hyatt here because there's like 200 rooms and about 5 people staying there. I'm certainly not complaining though!

Anyway, during the party I was jet lagged, sleep deprived, had an overload of info in my brain, I was meeting tons of new people (good thing), and adjusting to a new schedule...I really didn't want to be there. I was looking for Bethany, my fellow ELF, and noticed she was talking to two older men. I sat down with them and chatted for awhile. They were both JAGs there to train the Tajik military. I told them I was going to Garm and they were both like "Wooooooow! You're going to Garm?" It wasn't an envious 'wow' it was more like an "OMG what the hell are you going there for?" which is what I seem to be getting from everyone I tell. They were so worried about me even though they've never been to Garm. It was to my advantage though because they told me to wait in the lounge while they went upstairs and got some 'supplies' for me to take to Garm. The Marine Corps JAG gave me a Leatherman, an MRE, some water, and some bottles of shampoo and conditioner. The Army JAG gave me fruit cocktail, packs of crackers, and a huge bag of chocolates to take to my students. I was so grateful for everything they gave me and it was completely unexpected. They were very generous and I'm sure I'll be happy I have those crackers when I get Tajik tummy and need some comfort food.

1 comment:

  1. That was so nice of the JAG guys. I'm really enjoying your blog and the pictures are great too. Continue to keep us posted :) And try to make it back to Istanbul when you get a break!

    ReplyDelete